Station managers only trade critical wares.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sp0ngeB0b
x4

Station managers only trade critical wares.

Post by Sp0ngeB0b » Sat, 20. Apr 24, 23:13

When a station has critically low storage of an input ware, the manager will order the station's traders to exclusively search for that ware. This results in all assigned traders abandoning all other wares such as habitation supplies (until also critical), and the selling of excess station produce.

I love that critical input wares are prioritized but why do all traders get this treatment? Surely only a single trader should be exclusively assigned to the critical resource, not ALL traders.

Sometimes this more appropriate logic can be seen in the info screen of one or more of the trader's autotrade wares list BUT this does not accurately reflect what is actually happening; If a trader is assigned to autotrade other wares the trader will still exclusively search for the critical wares only. This then appears to be more a visual bug than anything else in my experience.

Koizuki

Re: Station managers only trade critical wares.

Post by Koizuki » Sun, 21. Apr 24, 00:50

This sort of overlaps with another complaint I've seen about the station managers not using their associated freighters intelligently -- using an L freighter to do a job that even an S courier could do, for example, instead of using them for truly bulk transport.

I feel like the issue here is probably that the station manager AI simply does not have enough info, even if it exists elsewhere, when making these decisions. It probably only knows if subordinates are available at all, and the fact that wares are low, but not how quickly they are being depleted, nor how big/fast the subordinates are, or how far away the optimal source of the wares are, so it can't do anything except "I need this ware that's at 1% to be refilled right now, subordinates, go!"

I definitely hope a rework to make these managers more intelligent about their subordinates is in the cards eventually, but there's quite a lot of information it'd need to sort through to truly get it optimized properly. Then you'd have to worry about performance scaling, as every station in the game will be running these expanded calculations all the time.

Return to “X4: Foundations”