2019 might see a Split DLC (hint by Ego dev)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

zzehirbazz

Re: 2019 might see a Split DLC (hint by Ego dev)

Post by zzehirbazz » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 11:07

It 's not just Split expansion. There will also be an expansion later on for another race. Both expansions will introduce new ships.

Juggernaut93
x4

Post by Juggernaut93 » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 11:26

zzehirbazz wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 11:07
It 's not just Split expansion. There will also be an expansion later on for another race. Both expansions will introduce new ships.
Yes, but we still don't know in which order races will be introduced. This post might suggest that Split could be first.

El Novato
x4

Post by El Novato » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 11:27

Now that they introduced ventures in parallel universes. Anyone else thinks they could introduce some hints or plots related to "the outsiders"?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 11:30

Juggernaut93 wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 11:26
zzehirbazz wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 11:07
Yes, but we still don't know in which order races will be introduced. This post might suggest that Split could be first.
We also know that the Borons are in the work (even some moders found in the code the notes that someone from Egosoft is working on Borons).

So now it only a question of:

DLC 1: Split
DLC 2: Boron
DLC 3: Terran (I assume Sol itself would be huge taking like 8-10 big hex)
DLC 4: something else? X-Rebirth pack? completely new race? playable Xenon or Khaak DLC?

Or will the do some kind of combine like:
DLC 1: Split & Boron
DLC 2: Terran & Xenon

Split & Terrans are hinted in X4:
- see inactive gate in Tharka Cascade - full of Xenon and Split wrecks.
- we have empty Heretics Ends that play no purpose other than being possible gate to Sol (actually we have TWO innactive gates there).

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 13:24

El Novato wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 11:27
Now that they introduced ventures in parallel universes. Anyone else thinks they could introduce some hints or plots related to "the outsiders"?
That piece of lore can hardly be introduced into the game. The outsiders had a presence millions of years ago and they brought an entire solar system to our galaxy which started to screw with the laws of physics. How would you establish that in a game that's about trading and fighting with your counterparts?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 13:56

repatomonor wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 13:24
El Novato wrote:
That piece of lore can hardly be introduced into the game. The outsiders had a presence millions of years ago and they brought an entire solar system to our galaxy which started to screw with the laws of physics. How would you establish that in a game that's about trading and fighting with your counterparts?
No thanks - no god-like superpowers. Even Ancients are OP and they are like an ant to the Outsiders.

Better make Xenons and Khaak more interesting:
Xenon - bigger economy and more ships & stations
Khaak - make it true hive with Hive Queen mothership roaming the space

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 14:33

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 13:56
repatomonor wrote:
El Novato wrote:
No thanks - no god-like superpowers. Even Ancients are OP and they are like an ant to the Outsiders.

Well considering the Kha'ak went through an extermination phase already, it is logical that there's no queen anymore, more like a "local queen" that is their hive station per cluster. Seems like Egosoft just can't let them go. They are good for a bit of variety and target fodder, but lore-wise it doesn't make sense that they gain power over the Community of Planets anymore.

As for Xenon, although they are getting old (literally), it would make sense to see more variety of them since as Rebirth has explained they evolve in different branches. If there were more branches, each of them could get a special look, different behaviour (for instance, one could be completely neutral until aggroed, others could be kill on sight, then others could try to attack you by viruses/computer override mainly).

I have two main issues with the Xenon:
1. Afaik plot-wise, it was established that the self-awaken core ship #EEFA reached enlightment with the Ancient cloud while her brother #DEFF was destroyed during the said pursuit. The rest of the Xenon were left behind by them and they don't posses the level of general intelligence those two had (thus should be unable to make big decisions)
2. Also plot-related, the Ancients only contacted the Community of Planets once during the Second Xenon Conflict, and they straight up ordered the races not to exterminate the Xenon, or else (yet that's what we are pretty much doing that in this game).
Since the Xenon were kept in separate sectors only small skirmishes occured. What aggravated them to this combat phase was probably the Terran Conflict?

Then there are Terrans, but they could be summed up as overpowered, and lost a war due to numbers and egosoft.

What this game really needs is a bunch of new races, a new pool that would mix things up a bit. Races that aren't necessarily humanoid. Ships that don't exactly look like what you would expect from a space faring race. Exploration that isn't limited to sectors defined by space gates. Research and invention that doesn't follow a tree scheme. Planets and moons that activaley define and serve the economy at least and aren't just background objects. Shamely, this is not the scope of this game. Sigh, maybe in X5.

edit: not that I want to complain, X4 seems to exceed expectations even if buggy. But it still sort of falls a bit away from what current space games are capable of.

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 15:39

I have no qualms with DLC expansions that add content and expand upon the universe, but i'm sorry, packaging up previous entry level content into a DLC is a bit of a piss take.

I have supported Egosoft for over 20 years now, but i can't see myself spending anymore money on their now sub standard products. The light fizzled with X3 for me :(
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 15:49

ATTACK_HAMSTER wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 15:39
I have no qualms with DLC expansions that add content and expand upon the universe, but i'm sorry, packaging up previous entry level content into a DLC is a bit of a piss take.

I have supported Egosoft for over 20 years now, but i can't see myself spending anymore money on their now sub standard products. The light fizzled with X3 for me :(
That would be reasonable to say if we were getting a game with the detail level of say, X3.

However, if you compare the two games, X3 and X4 closely you shall see that the detail and complexity of X3 is far off from X4. That means that the team of Egosoft while retaining its original number of employees, funding and resources still created a game that's more lively and closer to reality. This obviously resulted in making cuts to existing content - in this case ship variety, sector variety, and the absense of three factions.

Since the game does not support micro-transactions, funding has to be kept at least on a minimum level. Henceforth, DLCs are introduced. They first aim to add back the mission factions while adding new features and systems to explore. Meanwhile you are still getting free bugfixes and some of the new core features will surely leak through to the base game, as was the case with Rebirth.

There are many reasons that could add negative criticism for Egosoft, but this is not one of them.

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 16:11

It's entirely reasonable to say, as it is my opinion based on my own observations..

Are you seriously trying to tell me that the level of complexity we see in X4 is far and above X3? Because if that is your assertion, i would have to say it's not what i see.

So you are saying because we have no micro-transactions we should thank our lucky stars? And that future funding has to be raised by rehashing content (Split) which was originally considered to be a default entry in previous x games.

I can fully understand why the borons couldn't be modelled (cockpits) but if there is a specific Split DLC coming, it shows there was a decision taken some months/years ago to drip feed content in the form of DLC which normally was included in the base game for additional financial gain. This method of funding is questionable at best and repugnant at its worst.

If they couldn't produce a working manual at the release of their £40 product, i fail to see how they can be savvy in other areas.

Oh and bug fixes should be free..........
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 16:17

So that's the reason why we only see Split Women on Stations?
Split had next to no love on X:Rebirth, apart from a few Split Fighters and the Viper Destroyer, they had no buildings or even a decent wardrobe.
I can see why they cut them out, no buildings wares that were unique to the Split or Stations.

I can't wait to see the change.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 19:36

spankahontis wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 16:17
Split had next to no love on X:Rebirth, apart from a few Split Fighters and the Viper Destroyer, they had no buildings or even a decent wardrobe.
This is somewhat incorrect. Back in Rebirth they actually had female models for Split in the files but they were never used. The models for Female Split actually look better than what we have currently in X4 and the XR Split Females had hair, there was a mod in XR that enabled the game to spawn Split Females, gave them their own sectors, more ships, ect. But again that's a mod, my point was is that I was pointing out that XR had a female Split model that was never used.

In X4 there again is a mode for the Male Split that isn't currently used again if you use a mod those male Splits can spawn, but don't expect them to speak like Split do in XR or any prior X-series game. The Split in X4 lack the voice modifying that the devs do to give the race the unique sound Split sound like when speaking, like how the Teladi sound or the Paranid sound. Also I'd like to point out something I have observed about the Paranid, all crew I've run across for hiring none of them are female, there appears to be no female crewwomen. I don't know if this is an oversight on the devs part, intentional or they just haven't gotten around to adding female Paranids to the game.

werewolves?
x4

Post by werewolves? » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 21:03

Maybe Tharkas Cascade has something to do with where all the split men are...

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 21:23

As long as there is a Chimera with an anti missile mass driver at the rear then I will be one happy bunny,, loved hearing that open fire on incoming missiles ... :)

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 22:28

Requiemfang wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 19:36
spankahontis wrote:
This is somewhat incorrect. Back in Rebirth they actually had female models for Split in the files but they were never used. The models for Female Split actually look better than what we have currently in X4 and the XR Split Females had hair, there was a mod in XR that enabled the game to spawn Split Females, gave them their own sectors, more ships, ect. But again that's a mod, my point was is that I was pointing out that XR had a female Split model that was never used.

In X4 there again is a mode for the Male Split that isn't currently used again if you use a mod those male Splits can spawn, but don't expect them to speak like Split do in XR or any prior X-series game. The Split in X4 lack the voice modifying that the devs do to give the race the unique sound Split sound like when speaking, like how the Teladi sound or the Paranid sound. Also I'd like to point out something I have observed about the Paranid, all crew I've run across for hiring none of them are female, there appears to be no female crewwomen. I don't know if this is an oversight on the devs part, intentional or they just haven't gotten around to adding female Paranids to the game.
There is female Paranid? I always thought they were Hermaphrodites?

Thing is, I'm sure I saw Female Split in Vanilla Rebirth during the first few weeks of release, thought I was seeing things. They must of disabled them/patched them out before the new year of Rebirth's release?

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 13:56
repatomonor wrote:
El Novato wrote:

Yeah, why the Jump Drive was controversially taken out of X-4, too many God Power features that take away from gameplay.

The Xenon need a Special Construction Vessel (I'd argue a Mobile Factory going around pooping out Xenon Fighters), they also need Missile Frigates for Station/Destroyer targets.
Bring back those Kha'ak Destroyers and yeah, make a Super Destroyer, rare but devastating when you see them in action and bring back their Swarm attacks from X3, those were awesome and frightening when their Foragers ganged up on ships.
Kha'ak need more of an Insect-like behaviour in battle and building.
Last edited by spankahontis on Fri, 25. Jan 19, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 22:35

spankahontis wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 22:28
Requiemfang wrote:
spankahontis wrote:

Thing is, I'm sure I saw Female Split in Vanilla Rebirth during the first few weeks of release, thought I was seeing things. They must of disabled them/patched them out before the new year of Rebirth's release?
Uh no, afaik Teladi are hermaphrodites (appearent during the separation of Ianamus Zura during the Xenon Conflict, where the stuck Teladi were pretty much forced to clone themselves by self-breeding) while the Paranid have up to 12 genders. They probably don't hold visual cues though.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 22:41

repatomonor wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 22:35
spankahontis wrote:
Requiemfang wrote:

Uh no, afaik Teladi are hermaphrodites (appearent during the separation of Ianamus Zura during the Xenon Conflict, where the stuck Teladi were pretty much forced to clone themselves by self-breeding) while the Paranid have up to 12 genders. They probably don't hold visual cues though.
Or vocal

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 25. Jan 19, 22:44

repatomonor wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 22:35
spankahontis wrote:
Requiemfang wrote:

That would be quite time consuming to do, if they have 12 Genders? I take it they are visually different? Some possibly mixed up with other Genders that resemble each other?

Lantyssa
x4

Post by Lantyssa » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 00:22

Count me in the column hoping for a joint Split+Boron DLC. I love both their ships and races.
spankahontis wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 22:44
That would be quite time consuming to do, if they have 12 Genders? I take it they are visually different? Some possibly mixed up with other Genders that resemble each other?
If you're not a paranid you probably can't tell the difference.

There are two male Split in the game, the brothers who kidnapped the Boron scientist. We only see them over the comm channels, and their dialog is probably restricted to the few lines they speak. Female split while not varied in appearance, do have several voices and they include lines for all the actions I've tried with them, including boarding. I just wish I could find some with better starting skills.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 01:08

Lantyssa wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 00:22
Count me in the column hoping for a joint Split+Boron DLC. I love both their ships and races.
spankahontis wrote:
Fri, 25. Jan 19, 22:44
If you're not a paranid you probably can't tell the difference.

There are two male Split in the game, the brothers who kidnapped the Boron scientist. We only see them over the comm channels, and their dialog is probably restricted to the few lines they speak. Female split while not varied in appearance, do have several voices and they include lines for all the actions I've tried with them, including boarding. I just wish I could find some with better starting skills.
They always seem to have zero stars on everything for me, unless you buy a Capital Ship then I got a 4 Star Captain with my Magnetar Mineral Miner.

Return to “X4: Foundations”