Rimworld

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 6. Aug 16, 16:03

This is La Minita, my current colony:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =738683701
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 8. Aug 16, 02:47

Mortars really are a bit crap, aren't they? Just got attacked by a band of pirates packing mortars. I have a couple of mortars of my own, so I sat tight and returned fire. After a morning of shelling, shifts on my mortars and hasty production of sorts ammunition, the enemy had blown up a boar calf and set fire to a number of innocent plants, which were promptly doused by the rain. Meanwhile, I detonated several innocent rodents near the event camp. The only significant damage inflicted in the whole engagement was by a rabid hare which attacked the enemy camp and succeed in biting a couple of their troops.
Fortunately, at this point either tired from a hard morning's shelling, or more likely bored out of their skulls, the entire enemy party took an afternoon nap. After the most accurate shot yet from my forces landed next to camp and not a soul stirred, confirming a level of situational awareness rivaled only by Muffalo #3 (left with a level of brain activity undetectable to science after an unfortunate incident involving a hungry bear and the perimeter defence system), the brilliant tactical minds of my colonists seized the day and assembled a raiding party. Armed with the finest in heavy weaponry produced by my workshop, and any old tat we could lay our hands on, dependent on individuals' chances of hitting anything, we snuck up on the enemy and opened fire at short range, wiping them out at the cost of a graze and some bruises to one of my people.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 8. Aug 16, 10:11

OmegaKnight wrote: Or, should I say, is was a forest till lightening burned down 70~80% of the trees/plants, followed by toxic fallout that killed every animal on the map,
Ooooh, now THAT sounds like my kind of game 8)
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 8. Aug 16, 14:24

Wow, this game was released nearly 3 years ago?
That's a hell of an Early Access

This negative review kind of poo-poos the game somewhat. Is it valid or is it griping? It doesn't feel very rant-y
http://steamcommunity.com/id/serializer ... ed/294100/
Last edited by Jericho on Tue, 9. Aug 16, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Mon, 8. Aug 16, 16:46

Jericho wrote:Wow, this game was released nearly 3 years ago?
That's a hell of an Early Access

This negative review kind of poo-poos the game somewhat. Is it valid or is it griping? It doesn't feel very rant-y
http://store.steampowered.com/app/294100/
I can't see the actual review as the link just takes you to the store page.

Whilst it's true it has been in EA for some time (i have been following it for years, but only bought the game three weeks ago) as far as I'm concerned it feels pretty much feature complete for me, apart from the end game which is slow, but you shouldn't hit that unless you save scum :P

For the time i have invested and yet to invest, for 24 quid, it has been a steal, especially as i haven't encountered a single bug or crash in the 40 odd hours i have in it.

If you are still on the fence, wait till the Christmas sale when it will be discounted, but if you want some fun now, dip your hand in your pocket.......... (that wasn't meant to sound that creepy! ) :D
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 8. Aug 16, 18:00

ATTACK_HAMSTER wrote:...Whilst it's true it has been in EA for some time (i have been following it for years, but only bought the game three weeks ago) as far as I'm concerned it feels pretty much feature complete for me, apart from the end game which is slow, but you shouldn't hit that unless you save scum :P ..
I've been watching Let's Plays of it for years, too. It's rare that a Let's Player actually gets to the "End-Game" and builds their ship. Most who get that far seem to hold out until they max whatever they're shooting for or get their base built "just so." By that point, building the ship is pretty easy.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 9. Aug 16, 11:16

ATTACK_HAMSTER wrote:
Wow, that was a bad copy&paste. Sorry about that I copied the wrong steam tab. Idiot.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 9. Aug 16, 12:48

red assassin wrote:Mortars really are a bit crap, aren't they?
They are often more than a liiiiitle inaccurate.

My usual tactic to target a couple of individual raiders milling around rather than a point, that way the wandering and the inaccuracy together tend to combine into a decent number of hits, in the case of sieges I can usually shell them to oblivion before they've built much. . . . although two of my mortars are raider built, I nicked them when they ran off.

During the last raid I was pleased to get a direct hit on pretty much all the raiders as they bunched up. . . . Ha ha! Take that you pesky pirates! . . . but they were exclusively melee guys with shields, so it did nowt but knock those down . . . . and they were back up by the time they made it to the base.

I think they need a tweak, if you're firing at a fixed point on the ground the accuracy really should increase with each shot, it called ranging. Its also supposedly linked to shooting skill but I can't say I've seen a difference between a level 0 and a level 15.

The game in which I was wiped out by a combination of my stupidity, bad luck and mortar fire it wasn't due to pinpoint accuracy of the latter by the raiders. It was due to their incendiary nature setting fire to ALL OF THE THINGS. Fire which rapidly spread beyond any kind of possible control and. . . . due the fact I had stupidly held a door open it spread inside.
You were very lucky if your attacks happened in the rain. . . . .
OmegaKnight wrote:This is the Ice Sheet (Salvation)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =738271609
Scratching a living while trying not to freeze to death or starve,
but now Geo-power is up it should get a bit more pleasant for the colonists
I must try an ice sheet, I'm worried there will just be zero grow-able land / no animals and everyone will just starve within a week.

This was a desert,
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... A7F4CC746/
It was the game I got a bit bored with due to nothing ever happening, I've since restarted a much more interesting game. I think boreal forest is a fave biome so far. . . . . its the only one with what I'd call proper seasons.

Edit: I have also started to use some mods, here are the ones that I like in rough order of recommendation

Reduced standard lightbulb power, the amount the used by default is ludicrous.
Simply expands the range of hairstyles
Enables building of doormats to reduce dirt build up inside.
Enables you to craft medicine from larger quantities of herbal medicine plus a few other bits.
Allows you to break down clothes and reclaim the fabric at an efficiency dependent on tailoring skill.

These ones I'm interested in but haven't tried yet:
More fancy switches, motion detection, timed etc
More turret types, worried that one might make things a bit easy.
More crop types
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Tue, 9. Aug 16, 19:14

Jericho wrote:
ATTACK_HAMSTER wrote:
Wow, that was a bad copy&paste. Sorry about that I copied the wrong steam tab. Idiot.

Ha ha no worries - many, many years ago i once sent my mum the wrong link via Messenger, i didn't intend on showing her a scantily clad russian tennis player.........

Having read the review, it does raise some interesting points, although i haven't noticed them as much as the reviewer, so they haven't been detrimental to my enjoyment. Apart from maybe the combat, which can be a little annoying when your guys pop their mates in the back of the head, but with a little micro management you can easily work around the issue. I would disagree with the reviewers take on the GUI, it might be bad for them, but having come from playing far too many hours of Dwarf Fortress i find the GUI a godsend!

As Mork mentioned, i had watched a fair few lets plays too and was itching to have a go, so my endorsement could be classed as a little biased, but overall i think if you like the premise of colony management games where losing is FUN, i think you will get enjoyment out of it. You did mention you don't have a lot of time at the moment, so maybe put it on the back burner and wait for the inevitable price decease, as i have found it to be a time sink you can't get away from!

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 9. Aug 16, 20:15

Bishop149 wrote:The game in which I was wiped out by a combination of my stupidity, bad luck and mortar fire it wasn't due to pinpoint accuracy of the latter by the raiders. It was due to their incendiary nature setting fire to ALL OF THE THINGS. Fire which rapidly spread beyond any kind of possible control and. . . . due the fact I had stupidly held a door open it spread inside.
You were very lucky if your attacks happened in the rain. . . . .
I do have fire suppression around my defences and main base now, but none of the shots landed close enough to anything to have been very threatening even without the rain.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 23:13

One of the most impressiv updates I have ever seen in a video game.

RimWorld Alpha 16 - Wanderlust (the video is english, "Wanderlust" is simply the name of the version)
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Wed, 21. Dec 16, 00:59

Updated a few hours ago and loving it again. Can't wait to get a few banditos together so i can go claim what's rightfully mine across the map :D

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Wed, 21. Dec 16, 01:02

Yeah that is a huge change to the game.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 21. Dec 16, 04:19

That's awesome!

Only one thing - I hope they're keeping "feature creep" in mind. I don't have the game, yet, but I've been keeping up with it for a long time. This "update" introduces a wealth of new possibilities and gameplay options. I'll be watching "let's plays" with a great deal of interest!

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Wed, 21. Dec 16, 12:19

Morkonan wrote:I don't have the game
It's Christmas, treat yourself!

One new feature i like is the ability to force feed people drugs, now when i have a prisoner who is agitated, i just relax them with the alien green shrubbery...

Has anyone tried setting up a second colony yet? I am toying with the idea of setting one up for my Amazonian warband of lesbian peg legs, who will go out hunting nothing but men!

It's just like Dwarf Fortress with how your imagination can run free :D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 22. Dec 16, 05:55

ATTACK_HAMSTER wrote:
Morkonan wrote:I don't have the game
It's Christmas, treat yourself!..
I'm planning on getting it and I've watched xxxx's of hours of let's plays from several different players, over the years. But... I probably won't be around for the Steam sale. (Doesn't matter, will eventually get it, anyway, so it's all good. :) )

Arsaneus
x4

Post by Arsaneus » Wed, 28. Dec 16, 10:33

Tempted to get it. Is it better to wait until it leaves early access or is that still too far off?

As I'll get rid of my gaming PC, all I will have is my Surface Pro 4 so I am forced to play less demanding games and this seems to be a good investment?

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 30. Dec 16, 15:35

Arsaneus wrote:Tempted to get it. Is it better to wait until it leaves early access or is that still too far off?
The game is pretty polished and plays a lot like a full release game when it comes to stability and amount of content, however full release is probably quite for away. After all we have not even reached beta yet and the developer seems like he wants to add a lot more to the game.
Arsaneus wrote:As I'll get rid of my gaming PC, all I will have is my Surface Pro 4 so I am forced to play less demanding games and this seems to be a good investment?
Take a look a the system specs and see if you Surface can run it. It is not as low performance as one may assume.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Thu, 5. Jan 17, 21:37

With all the recommendations, I decided to treat myself ...

I love it :)

Just today I was wondering about starting a new game, as I seemed to have made things too easy for myself on the first play - my three survivors had grown to 6, and I had a good little base building up.

Then the pirates came. Three of them, but armed to the teeth with guns...

Five of my people died - most bleeding out because the doctor was incapacitated. But I struggled on, and more people joined. But ...

None of them will haul anything, so the dead bodies are lying about freaking out the remaining colonists - so half the time they wander around in various states of psychosis, and when they *do* work, they can't haul any materials about, so they can't make any meals, and I'm running out of meals. Plenty of raw materials for cooking - but no meals will be cooked...

This (strange as it sounds) is wonderful fun :D

Add one more voice to the pile of recommendations !

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Thu, 5. Jan 17, 23:13

Rug wrote:None of them will haul anything, so the dead bodies are lying about freaking out the remaining colonists
You know what the answer is, make the colonists eat them (consume option) you will soon end up with a clear map of bodies........ doesn't do a lot for their sanity though, but who cares, they will have full bellies :D

Return to “Off Topic English”