Rimworld

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Thu, 5. Jan 17, 23:46

Or if someone has a decent Handle skill, then train up some wildlife to do your hauling for you.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 6. Jan 17, 02:26

http://www.indiedb.com/groups/2016-indi ... -year-2016

Rimworld got #1 on the IndieDB awards!

Happy to see Squad at least made it into the honorable mentions.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Fri, 6. Jan 17, 11:10

Happier news !

I was joined by a wandering defector (called Guts), who is happy to haul stuff, so my oven is now fueled, so cooking is happening again (I was down to 4 simple meals !), and the bodies are being cleared to help people with their sanity. (I had tried one person going down the cannibalism route, but too many bodies, and too much mental mayhem put me off that if avoidable. I do like the thought of training my Muffalo though - thanks for the tip. (The tortoise probably wont be too great at hauling I would guess ...))

Fun times :)

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Sat, 7. Jan 17, 02:04

Rug wrote:I do like the thought of training my Muffalo though
As far as im aware you cannot train Muffalo's to haul. They do produce wool that is of high quality for clothing and milk which can be used for cooking, plus they can be used as a good pack horse for hauling goods to other settlements should you wish to send a trade expedition out.

On my current game it's getting a bit hectic with my 15 colonists, i have somebody trying to break up a marriage! My doctor keeps making advances on a married female and then brawls with her husband who happens to be the chef. Normally i would arrange for him to have an accident, but his high level in medicine lets him keep his head for now.
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 7. Jan 17, 03:52

Question on mods:

Most games and their players always recommend playing the game first, without mods, so you can get used to the mechanics/whatever.

But, after watching a substantial number of hours and let's plays from both extremely good players and less-than-noteworthy-yet-enthusiastic-ones, the sorts of mods that interest me and don't add any significant mechanics to the game don't seem to qualify as "noobs shouldn't run these until they've played" sorts of mods.

So, I'm going to pick up the game and am going to add some mods to it for my first playthrough. Normally, that's heretical, but with these mods, I don't see any significant mechanics changes and some of them I really want to use while playing.

(From Avaak's list on one of his let's plays)
Double Population
EdB Prepare Carefully
Wildlife Tab
Stonecutting Tweak
Crafting Hysteresis
Auto Seller
Defensive Positions
Allow Tool
Hospitality
Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering
A Dog Said...
RedistHeat
FashionRIMsta
LT-DoorMat
[T] MoreFloors
More Furniture
RT Fuse
Day/Night Switch
More Vanilla Turrets
Quality Builder
Hand Me That Brick
Refactored Work Priorities
Rimfridge
AC-Work Tab

I may or may not use the Double Population, have to look a bit into that. But, for the rest, I don't see any mechanics issues to trouble a knowledgeable noob, like myself. Pretty basic additions, IMO.

Opinions? Safe lineup for a noob? (Who's seen bazillion hours of let's plays?)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sat, 7. Jan 17, 14:52

@Morkonan

I have used almost all of those. Looks pretty failsave to me, even for a beginner, while many of those add extra options non (except Refactored Work Priorities I think) really change anything from the getgo.

Give double poplulation a try, I like it, but maybe don't do it in your first run.

RedistHeat is a bit more complicated than the other ones. Here is a not so quick guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =736613416

Important: Do not forget to install HugsLib and put it up top in the mod loading order. Otherwise some mods won't work.

I would also highly recommend Feed The Colonists, because to me it does not make sense that someone can only cook one meal at a time. It also helps that your colonists don't spend 90% of their time cooking food in the kitchen, but that is personal taste and up to you.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 7. Jan 17, 21:14

clakclak wrote:@Morkonan...
Thanks for that! I think you're right, from what I can see - There's really no severe functional changes introduced by those mods. (Refactored Work Priorities looks awesome, with the ability to really tweak tasks. More fiddly bits = Good in my opinion. :) )

Great recommend on Feed the Colonists! I'll add that into my mod list. I "know" the different mods listed, but I do need to get some instructions on how to mod the game and such, since I don't have it atm.

I assume HugsLib is the "community library" I hear about when the subject comes up in vids/tutes?

Looking forward to playing this. It'll be my first "purchased" beta/pre-release IIRC. Considering the game's development and its very polished, for a pre-release, play, I have no worries.

PS - I love how this game incorporates temperature and such by enclosed space. That is very... not easy... to do in a real-time engine. Many games have attempted to use dynamic volume calculation, like space-games with vacuum vs atmosphere in stations/ships/etc and in water games that have fallen afoul of trying to calc volume using particle/geometry systems. That Rimworld can do this without "chugging" and present it as dynamically as it does is very refreshing to see!

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sat, 7. Jan 17, 22:34

Morkonan wrote:[...]

I assume HugsLib is the "community library" I hear about when the subject comes up in vids/tutes?[...]
Yes that is most likely what they were talking about.
Morkonan wrote:[...]I "know" the different mods listed, but I do need to get some instructions on how to mod the game and such, since I don't have it atm. [...]
Do you mean how to make the game work with the mods? If that is what you mean than Rimworld might be the easiest of all. Simply subscribe to the mods you like in the steam community library, than start the game click on mods. There you will see a list of all mods you are subscribed to, you can drag those to make a loadorder (mods on top will be loaded first, so that is where Libaries and sutch should be), than simply check them all so that all have a green tick next to them. (Mods underlined in red are not for the current Alpha version.) Exit out of the menu. You will most likely get a massage telling you to restart the game by now. Do that and you are good to go.

It is pretty self explanatory, there is really no reason to do it manuelly or use any third party software.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 8. Jan 17, 01:24

clakclak wrote:...It is pretty self explanatory, there is really no reason to do it manuelly or use any third party software.
That is, of course, how I'm used to modding games. :) I'm used to "Old School" modding and I've never used Steam's Workshop, simply because it hasn't proven reliable for the games I have there that I have modded. So, Rimworld will be the first I use the Workshop for. Another first!

Gotta get off my ass and buy the darned thing, already... Gonna do it! Srsly.. gonna. Right now! In a sec... On my way! Soon... ;)

Arsaneus
x4

Post by Arsaneus » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 08:25

clakclak wrote:
Arsaneus wrote:Tempted to get it. Is it better to wait until it leaves early access or is that still too far off?
The game is pretty polished and plays a lot like a full release game when it comes to stability and amount of content, however full release is probably quite for away. After all we have not even reached beta yet and the developer seems like he wants to add a lot more to the game.
Arsaneus wrote:As I'll get rid of my gaming PC, all I will have is my Surface Pro 4 so I am forced to play less demanding games and this seems to be a good investment?
Take a look a the system specs and see if you Surface can run it. It is not as low performance as one may assume.
Runs pretty well on my Surface Pro 4! Steam logged 91 hours of playtime... so I...uh...guess it was worth it!

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Wed, 11. Jan 17, 23:01

Got into it too after reading this thread, pretty funny game! Love how the differents personality stats etc can produce some pretty amusing stuff, my current fav in my small community of stoners the Chief surgeon is a 76 year old man named Crink who has a peg leg a bad back and a missing eye, he likes to partake in smoking one, only problem wen he does he always falls over and cant get up. I know i can probably prevent that by giving him a bionic leg but it just too funny that every night crink needs to be hauled to the hospital cause he smoked one :P and the rest still trust him to do the difficult medical stuff!
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

Return to “Off Topic English”